View Single Post
Old 06-24-2013, 07:15 PM   #118
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

Oddometer: 1,084
The next day we headed out of Chattanooga and this time we were going to see the skyway. After an uneventful but windy drive up the Freeway we hit the skyway. at the bottom we went for a quick swim in a river that paralleled the road

Stopping for a swim along the Cherohala Skyway

Letting the Current drag me down river

Swimming against the current

After our swim we headed up the skyway. Soon thereafter the rain started and it was torrential. We passed a few pull offs and cars and bikers were stopped looking for shelter. I couldn't find anywhere dry to hide so I just turned on the hazard lights and drove the entire skyway at 10-20mph. The rain just got harder and harder and one we got above 3000ft. The clouds moved in and visibility was less than 20ft. In many spots on the road the trees formed a canopy over the road. The fog was so thick that you couldn't see the trees above you!

We continued on a didn't see another car or bike for the entire ride. Eventually we got to the other side and just hauled ass in the rain back to Asheville where we checked into a hotel and tried to dry our of our soaked gear...So that was out trip to Asheville in a nutshell.

Less than 20ft visibility and torrential rains on the skyway

Clouds parting after the storm

Soaked at the end of the skyway

vstrom against the clouds

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Domromer is offline   Reply With Quote