View Single Post
Old 06-24-2013, 11:12 PM   #686
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,155
Great Basin National Park Preview

Looking forward to seeing you guys at 9 am at Subway in Hurricane. Expecting 3-4 riders. Everyone else is on vacation, working, can't figure out how to login to ADVrider, or just too lazy to get out and ride. Stragglers always welcome, just be there by 9:05 am or else haul ass up the Kolob Reservoir Rd to catch us.

Spent the weekend moto camping in Great Basin National Park. A few preview pics:

On the way via Milford, UT.

Stayed 100% on pavement for the ride to Baker, NV, entrance to Great Basin National Park. Great opportunity to put some wear on the new Versys tires. UT 21 from Milford to Garrison is a very empty smooth road with at least a few curves and some elevation changes. Very, very empty road =

Wheeler Peak. Just over 13,000 ft.

Hiking up to the Bristlecone Pine Groves.

Up close and personal. These trees are the stars of the show!

Stella Lake. Above 10,000 ft. Alpine scenery on an isolated mountain top in the middle of the Nevada/Utah desert.

Took the "scenic" way back south via Hamlin Valley. About 90 miles of dirt along the Nevada/Utah border. A few local inmates may have been through here, but not many. Pretty isolated area.

Typical scenery in Northern Hamlin Valley. Nevada isn't wasting any money on "Bicycle Crossing Use Caution" signs here.

I'll be on my dad's red Honda Tuesday. My WR is in Brian Head and the TW is not the fastest of all possible bikes for the pavement stretches.

Thanks for the posts and the PMs from quite a few of you.

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976

RedRockRider screwed with this post 06-25-2013 at 11:14 PM
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote