View Single Post
Old 06-24-2013, 11:21 PM   #80
rocketman1098S
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagred View Post
I'm going to say my bit, and then duck and run for cover.

LIGHTEN UP folks and THINK before you gripe.

I don't have cable TV at home, but this week I was in a hotel room flipping through the channels and saw riders on bikes. SWEET! So I dropped the remote and watched. I only saw about the last 30 minutes of the episode where the lady had to ride in the truck because of a busted foot.

This is just a group of people like me, who love to ride. The only difference is... they have enough money to afford a trip that I can't afford. And because TV cameras are around, everybody ends up being stiff and self-conscious. Sure producers try to create and manufacture a little drama. That's what producers do.

But let's be honest. The "motorcycle TV watching market" in america is not exactly huge. If we act like snobs and don't support the stuff they make specifically for US... then guess what... they won't bother to make more stuff for us. It is all about the money. Who can get viewers and advertising dollars.

Be overly critical and unsupportive of the market's attempts to create motorcycle programming, and there won't be more attempts to make motorcycle programming.

ALL right... I'm done acting like a "know-it-all". Isn't it ironic that I'm being critical of others being critical.
I agree with the above, but wow...what a tough crowd otherwise! Lol... I watched the whole series and really liked it. However, I too count Neale as a friend. I went to the "premier" party and knew a little bit more of the background premise. The project was put together on a relative shoestring budget. It was never intended as a How-to ride of Peru. Even the title "Moto Cause: Neale Bayly Rides" should let you know. The series was intended to attempt to reach a larger audience than just hard core adventure riders. The hope was to entertain present riders, interest non-riders in our sport, intrigue casual riders to raise the bar for themselves to ride at higher/more varied levels, and probably the greatest was to raise interest and benefit his most loved cause.., the Hogar Belen Orphanage in Moquegua.
There is some merit to lots of what has been stated in this thread. The challenge of distilling days down to three hours of viewing must be horrendous, but to try to do so in such a manner as to reach the maximum audience.....I can't imagine. Again, I really liked it. I felt it was artfully woven of multiple layers of diverse personalities, adventure motorcycling, and a worthy charitable cause. The show and its surrounding social media, and other, exposure has generated thousands of dollars for the orphans of Hogar Belen.
Would I like to see a hard-core, technical, adv, motorcycle show. Absolutely! Shoot some positive feedback to SPEED, and include those thoughts.

http://www.speedtv.com/feedback

Or, check out the organization that Neale founded. Maybe donate a buck or two!

WELLSPRING INTERNATIONAL OUTREACH

http://wellspring-outreach.org/people.html

I will now put my soapbox back into storage........
rocketman1098S is offline   Reply With Quote