View Single Post
Old 06-25-2013, 06:50 AM   #35
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by corndog67 View Post
OCF guy, you've mentioned something that has been on my mind lately. Recently, in the Bay Area, a lady was killed when she hit a pallet on the freeway while riding her motorcycle. Purely chance happening, could've been me or anyone here. What really worries me, is my wife getting a knock at the door, or the Sheriffs call, telling her that I've been killed. Really, I don't worry about crashing and dying very much, but I do worry about what would happen with her, and it fuckin' kills me. So much so, that I'm thinking about selling my KTM and quitting riding on the street, so much shit can happen that is beyond our control.
I used to know a guy who thought like that. He quit street riding for road racing- too dangerous riding on the street. He quit road racing for dirt bikes- road racing was too fast (and a local rider broke his back and spent the rest of his life in a wheelchair).

He started riding in the wide open desert... where he one day impaled himself on a broken tree limb.

There is no such thing as "safe". I hesitate to say there's such a thing as "less risky"- I think a given person will take action at whatever endeavor to the level of their personal tolerance for [percieved] risk, so there's only "differently risky".
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote