View Single Post
Old 06-25-2013, 04:38 PM   #2
BC61
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,085
Nothing better than electric gear! Unfortunately most rally bikes don't have the juice to support it.

I have found nothing beats down for extreme temperatures. Layers are important but how layered is more critical. I have more experience with cold weather camping than riding but layering is layering. The trick is to let your body heat up the inner insulation layer and have an outer layer to keep the elements out. My guess is you had tons of layers but none that really are designed to keep warmth generated by your body in. A single wicking base layer, maybe a thin micro fleece then a down jacket and a windproof or waterproof shell. Too many layers between you and the down and it will never heat up properly. Also the outer shell can't compress the down layer to much or it won't work. I use a one size larger rally jacket in the winter.

Try the under gear, a down jacket, loose rally jacket and a waterproof Gortex outer shell. The shell should be loose fitting but also seal around the waist and wrists.

Let us know what you come up with and how it works. Good luck!

My experience at Dakar 2012 www.bc2dakar.com
BC61 is offline   Reply With Quote