View Single Post
Old 06-26-2013, 05:27 AM   #10
AngryAndo OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Now to the trip planning:
One of the most important issues for me was the need to start the ride from home in Ferntree Gully which is in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne.
The next issue was "this is an adventure ride so we need as much dirt as possible"
With that in mind I set about planning a route that avoided as much bitumen as possible.
With the help of Google maps on my iPad (the old version of maps before Apple stuffed it up)
I set about planning a route that achieved the above two goals.

If you google a route from Ferntree Gully to Swan Hill up on the Murray is comes up as 370 km all bitumen.
After 12 months I now have a route that is 500 km with over 400 km of dirt. Not bad Eh!

As recently as two weeks ago I was still making changes to the planned route.
I have also been monitoring the weather and road conditions, particularly in NSW as there was a fair bit of rain there a couple of weeks ago. At one point half of day 2 and all of day 3 were closed but all is open at the moment and the weather forecast is looking good.

In addition to the electronic devices I also have many paper maps that are going with us as a back up.
I discovered that you shouldn't rely solely on the GPS when mine stopped working on our first weekend ride.
I also have 23 pages of track notes that will sit in the top of my tank bag

DL 650 V Strom
DR 650 2012
Savanah Way 2013 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...3#post21608773

AngryAndo screwed with this post 06-26-2013 at 05:34 AM
AngryAndo is offline   Reply With Quote