View Single Post
Old 06-26-2013, 05:11 PM   #99
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_404 View Post
The fact that they are white does play a role here, so ease down on the sensitivity.
I can asure you that afterward these orphans said to each other "did you see all the expensive stuff these white people owned?"

I'll go one step further and even suggest that if these orphans had blond hair and blue eyes, it would be a nationwide story in the US media and truckloads of charity money would be streaming in right now.
If it had been 4 rich latino's traveling to Peru on a bike, we would not be having this discussion, because a show like that would not have been comercially interesting enough to get aired.
That would not appeal to the target consumer. (who is ...)

So yes, I do think that them being white, plays a fitting role in the remark about irony from Mercury264
My experience with kids, any kids, is that the color of the skin plays little in their thoughts about others unless the adults teach them bigotry. More than likely they see the riders as rich Americans. It is the guilty feeling white people, and the bigoted that tend to make a big deal over race IMHO.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote