View Single Post
Old 06-26-2013, 05:26 PM   #43
sarathmenon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuInFH View Post
I've been using DualSportMaps for a year, have you tried that one? Several threads (Vendor, GPS forum, etc.) about it. That said, I am trading my one-month old Montana in on the Monterra, for the NOAA SAME alerts. Guess that is the ONE feature someone asked for above, as my Rugby Smart needs a WiFi signal to do the DSM weather radar ovelay. Monterra will be out in Sept, I'll report back.
DualSportMaps is based off OSM, and I've had very sad results with the POI and routing accuracy from the map source. Also, I've seen the vendors post where initially people were put off by the quality. No offence to the dev, it takes very hard work to get a great gps app working. I am mostly on road, and I'd like to have routing working all the time.

I hear you on the Monterra, and I can't for the love of god understand what Garmin is doing. They built a dedicated device which runs android and costs $700 and yet refuses to release their software on the play store. There is a market for a dedicated device, as well as a for a good (even paid) phone app. Much as I like Garmin, I want my music on a long road trip, and that pretty much means I fall back to the phone. If they refuse to see where the world is going, at some point, they will be taken over by the phone apps. Luckily for them, tomtom is doing a great job of releasing one shitty version after another on android . The competition is very equally lack lustre as well.
sarathmenon is offline   Reply With Quote