View Single Post
Old 06-26-2013, 07:02 PM   #2254
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Oddometer: 1,905
Back to the smoker project...

11 gauge (1/8") weld-on end caps sourced from an ebay vendor. 5/8" all thread welded to the cap. I intentionally oversized the O.D. by one inch for an overhang.

5/8" nut welded to a piece of 3/16" thick flat bar...

...and trimmed to fit snugly inside the top smoke stack.

It's snug enough to stay in place while I plumb everything as good as possible.

Once I'm reasonably happy with fit-up, I fully weld it.

So, there's my take on an adjustable stack. I'm hoping it works well. I will have to wait and see.

I'm going to try something similar on the smoke damper on the back of the wood stove with a steel hub cap from a '54 Oldsmobile. Will it work? I have no idea, but it's worth a shot.

I found some awesome stainless steel NOS U.S. Navy surplus thermometers on ebay. This one will be used on the smoker.

I bought this one to put on the firebox, but I'm not sure it's needed. I just want to see how quickly I can change the temp using the dampers instead of just guessing. I don't know if 750 F is even a high enough range or not. I also found this on ebay thinking it was US made, but it's made in China. Had I known that, I would have kept shopping.

I'm hoping to run some wood through it next week and do some testing. Getting there slowly but surely.

kirkster70 screwed with this post 06-26-2013 at 07:07 PM
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote