Thread: Guitar thread
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2013, 06:57 AM   #1727
BMW Kurt
Taker of Pictures

Oddometer: 10,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMoney View Post
Do you recall the difference in materials? Anything specifically about the species or grade of wood?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
For the Les Paul's the biggest difference is that Epiphone uses a thin maple veneer on the cap instead of a solid maple cap. I think it's about 1 mm thick on a "mahogany" (Nato) cap. The body is also Nato/Eastern Mahogany instead of Honduran Mahogany. Some Elite models do have a maple cap though. I'm pretty sure they source their maple in Asia as well. The body is more often multi-piece as well as the neck's. Usually 3-6 pieces. The head and neck are separate pieces on an Epi. So you have 2 and sometimes 3 pieces not including the fingerboard. The other big difference is finish. Epi's use a polyurethane instead of the labor intensive nitrocellulose lacquer.

Here's a tour of the Epiphone Qing Dao factory.

http://www.ikebe-gakki.com/web-ikebe...y-tour/EQ.html
http://www.ikebe-gakki.com/web-ikebe...y-tour/GQ.html

Here's the veneer.

Pretty much what our tour guide told us.

That being said, I didn't want to start a rag war! Epiphone construction seems to follow the cheap labor trail. I have a Japanese made Epiphone FT-133 from the 70's. Great guitar and I play it as much as my Martin. If I remember correctly Epis were made in Korea and then facilities moved to China. They are great guitars for the price and 99% of us do not need to spend $4K on a guitar. When I was younger I thought that if I bought a Strat I would sound like Clapton and if I bought a 335 I would sound like B. B. King. Unfortunately, that is not the way it works.

BMW Kurt screwed with this post 06-27-2013 at 07:13 AM
BMW Kurt is online now   Reply With Quote