View Single Post
Old 06-27-2013, 11:02 AM   #45
glasswave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 924
It is interesting to see how many people want to ignore objective data so they can compartmentalize their own little worlds. It makes one wonder what other areas of science they are prepared to dismiss in order to convince themselves that they are making the best decisions. One must also wonder about their feelings regarding history, considering they only want to go off their own anecdotal experiences.

Still others, will rationalize, "I am not part of that statistical group (all motorbikers) because, I don't...[ride at night, drink and ride etc]." And why don't they engage in those behaviors? Because they know the statistics.

For me, statistical data is like any other objective information. It's nothing to be afraid of or hate or dismiss. I am happy to have it, because it allows me to assess the risks and act in ways to eliminate or minimize them. I am not saying that I don't combine this with my own experience and knowledge, just that I don't want to deny the data is relevant to me.

Why would people want to put their fingers in their ears and scream lalalalalala, when they could look at the data and use it to manage their risks. Yes, stats can be manipulated by someone to convince you of a false premise, but that's only if you don't understand statistics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
I hate statistics. If you have a crash, your chances of having a crash were 100 percent.
The irony behind that statement is delicious, thanks.

BTW, Lucifer, statistics show that you'd be better off avoiding multi-lane surface streets during rush hour, rather than interstates.
Peruvian Andes (3 months)
N Chile - Medellin, Colombia (3 months) Cartegena, CO to N Chile (3 months)

glasswave screwed with this post 06-29-2013 at 08:09 AM
glasswave is offline   Reply With Quote