View Single Post
Old 06-27-2013, 07:23 PM   #58
pne OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
A new day and I was in good spirits. I headed east on 14 to a breathtaking view of the columbia gorge and whatever the dam is called there.

I jumped on a neat little road here called the Cook Underwood, which is tight and twisty by runs through residential so the speed limits are low. But the view at the top is a real treat. I also stopped at Panorama point just south of the toll bridge for some shots. Mt Hood is a real sight, the way it stands out with no other ranges around makes it seem extra tall. It seems mind blowing to think that in a few weeks I would be riding a road higher than its peak.

The rest of the day was pretty dull, I rode south on 26 to Madras, where it got hot and dry in a hurry. After stopping for a huge and not very good burrito, I rode to Sweet Home to meet my next host. That's when I ran into this gem of a highway 20. This road runs through some old growth forest, but I was much more interested in the road. Tight and technical, with lots of elevation changes, this is my favorite kind of backroad. Twisties are nice, but throw in some dips and rises, and suddenly its a roller coaster ride.

I thought Sweet Home was Alabama, but there I met up with 2much2do, a friendly guy who rides a big bmw 1200 (I can't tell any of their bikes apart, sorry guys) and gets his kicks from flying small planes. Coincidentally Mike from the other night was a commercial pilot. ADVers are cool cats. I spent the night in 2's camper, and to boot his wife made me a big waffle in the morning. Thanks Wes, I hope when I visit again you'll take me up in the plane so I can see what the big fuss is all about. Like I need another expensive hobby.

pne screwed with this post 06-27-2013 at 07:34 PM
pne is offline   Reply With Quote