View Single Post
Old 06-27-2013, 08:56 PM   #91
Hoonatic Ty OP
TEN660

Oddometer: 96
Too the mountains!

Rested, defrosted and the spirit boosted I ducked across the road to the local bakery and breakfasted on one of the award winning meat pies and to send off some souvenirs and post card to my friend Erika. I have spent a bit of time in post offices around Australia now to either send back non essential items and mementos accumulated whilst exploring or post cards to friends and family. I still believe receiving something personal in the post from someone in a far off place is pretty cool. Ebay purchases give you a similar feeling, but obviously paid for by yourself!

Erica General Store.
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

You know your getting up in the altitudes when you see things like this...

Making my way back down towards the Victorian coast I came across a Swiss couple doing a documentary on Australia. I was able to get them to take a photo of both me and the bike in our natural environment. Coming from Western Australia seeing warning signs like these are even a novelty to me. I had to keep a lookout on the winding roads not only for the kangaroos but wombats and koalas!

Along the way, Cricket Club Hotel, Cowwarr.

Before making my way up the mountains on the Great Alpine Road, I stopped in at Bairnsdale to buy long sleeved and legged thermal underwear. I saved the nice shop assistant the trouble of a carry bag and wore them under my bike gear, straight out the shop! The road report forecast detailed some land slips further up the mountain cutting off a particular scenic bike route recommended by my brother inlaw Ross and others.
Hoonatic Ty is offline   Reply With Quote