View Single Post
Old 06-27-2013, 11:45 PM   #92
Hoonatic Ty OP
TEN660

Oddometer: 96
Victorian Highlands

The Victorian Highlands was another place that had me intrigued. I had read about them in several "Trailzone" motorbike magazines and watched videos of crew on awesome tracks throughout the area. Excitement coupled with fear of the unknown, fueled me up the road towards it all.

A reminder that I was now alone and had to be very careful in my travels...
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Another namesake reminder of my great mate and influence Doug Swift.

The word "Alpine" to me, coming from a predominately arid state of Australia seems very foreign, conjures up images that I am certainly not used to being in and gives me a feeling that I'm far away some where, out of my comfort zone. With me and the bike, I'm grinning from ear to ear and loving it...

I was seeing a change in the surrounding environment, from manicured farmland to native bush that turned into denser forrest. As I rode further up the mountain the forrest gave way to a silver wooded and hardier tree which then gave way to low tough tundra. "Something tells me Toto, we are not in Exmouth anymore!"

The crisp, clean air, Mount Cope.

This following video is a favourite of mine. The feeling of riding solo to the very top of a mountain, being alone with your thoughts and feelings is an experience to behold.

I am not sure if I was allowed up there, but with a few 'service' gates open, absolutely no-one or fresh tracks around, the urge to continue was overpowering. The reward was truly awesome!!! Sorry for the poor audio but it was really blowing up there! The rubbly track, combined with boogie freezing cross winds at 40knots+, gave the whole experience an even better feeling of achievement. God knows what Sir Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay felt when they got to the top of Everest! To park and look around, I had to position the bike carefully, even doing that, it sat over balancing on the side stand touching every so often, on either the front or back wheel.

Click to watch.

The bike standing firm in a balancing act.

Blown away on motorcycle and mountain!

Coming back down, Alpine Village, Falls Creek. Empty snow runs below.

An empty Falls Creek. As I walked around by myself for a while, I prepared for Zombies to walk out of shadows! Not a soul around. Finally a mountain bike rider road passed with a friendly greeting of "Gday" and I went on my way knowing that all was ok...

Riding in and out of the dark shadows the mountains cast, had me confused what time it was during the day.

Racing up a early morning mountain to meet a sunrise. I'll meet you halfway...
Hoonatic Ty is offline   Reply With Quote