View Single Post
Old 06-29-2013, 04:19 AM   #17566
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyMyBoy View Post
Recently purchased a new Tiger 800XC. Service manager suggested I bring the bike in at 200 miles for a free chain inspection and adjustment. Am at that mileage right now. Trying to decide if it is worth the few hour time commitment, or if there is no need and I should just wait until 500 miles for the break-in service that also includes an oil change.
On a long-swingarm bike, like this one, it's better to be loose than tight. I don't think it's worth your time. Heck, you can do it yourself very easily, if it really needs it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
One hint: if you bring it to the dealer for adjustment, check what they have adjusted it to afterwards. Mechanics are human, too, and sometimes they adjust the chain too tight. Make sure it is on the loose end of the recommended values, then everything should be fine for quite a while.
I run my 1050 at ~1-3/4". It droops pretty good, but, I've never had an issue.

I've seen road race bikes with more droop than I run. A crew chief told me they're more concerned about geometry than chain slack. They try to swap sprockets around to try to get the slack tighter, with close to the same ratio, but, sometimes don't have time. So long as it's not jumping teeth, they run it. That same guy helped me setup my Daytona suspension. It was night and day difference, using his advice.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote