View Single Post
Old 06-29-2013, 09:07 AM   #36
seņormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Oddometer: 1,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by corndog67 View Post
OCF guy, you've mentioned something that has been on my mind lately. Recently, in the Bay Area, a lady was killed when she hit a pallet on the freeway while riding her motorcycle. Purely chance happening, could've been me or anyone here. What really worries me, is my wife getting a knock at the door, or the Sheriffs call, telling her that I've been killed. Really, I don't worry about crashing and dying very much, but I do worry about what would happen with her, and it fuckin' kills me. So much so, that I'm thinking about selling my KTM and quitting riding on the street, so much shit can happen that is beyond our control. You could be the safest, most proficient rider out there, and BAM!, fuckin' pallet knocks you under a truck. I've been doing this for 41 years, it's all I've ever really done. But I still go back to thinking about the knock at the door that ladies family got, or her parents, or whoever.

Fuck.
You can't live life that way; well you can but it's a recipe for neutering yourself. Just go be a hermit if you're going to sell the motorcycle.. and wear oven mitts on your hands at all times, a diaper, and two pair of socks. You never know when you could cut yourself or stub your toe and then piss yourself. It COULD happen!

But seriously, just don't commute in rush hour if it feels too dangerous. Be safe and alert when you ride after work or on the weekends. You can die walking in the parking lot at the grocery store, you can die sitting on the toilet, but you can't get the same enjoyment out of anything like you can a motorcycle.

I used to live in the bay and I know how dangerous those roads can get with all of the moron drivers, and I've had friends die from various moto crashes, but life without a motorcycle is not much of a life.

Bringing that topic up on a moto forum is asking for responses like this of course.

Edit: as for my personal crashes, I think it's been 1 totaled sport bike (car door opened on me while legally splitting lanes in CA), one crashed and fixed sport bike (lowside), one totaled 250cc from a 60mph race crash, and an untold number of smaller dirtbike crashes that fall under "becoming more proficient through knowing what not to do".