View Single Post
Old 06-29-2013, 09:00 PM   #63
pne OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 525
Next up was heading back East to the coast to check out Redwood National Park. I was glad to get back on the 101 and see some more coast, the fog lifted and I was treated to some splendid views.

I planned to make camp in the park, but a $35 camp fee made me balk. I'm of the opinion that camping should be cheap or free, not motel money. The guy working the station was kind enough to give me directions to a great little free spot to pitch a tent, just at the base of one of the sights I wanted to see anyways, the Lady Bird Johnson Grove. Driving up this little beat up road to the grove was like stepping into Jurassic Park. All of a sudden I was in the middle of dense fog and huge trees, trying to pick my jaw off the ground.

I walked up to one of the giant trees to give it a hug, but changed my mind after I realized it was covered in crawlies.

This one was funny, I read the sign showing some of the wildlife in the area and a blurb about banana slugs. Thinking I'd have to look pretty hard to find one of these things, it hits me that there is a nice fat one crawling on the sign itself, probably saying hi to his 2D buddy.

There have been many spots on this trip where I've stood in a stunned silence, just appreciating how special of a place I'm standing in. This is one of those spots.

pne is offline   Reply With Quote