View Single Post
Old 06-30-2013, 03:22 AM   #1313
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Oddometer: 2,156
Hinakura Rd, Riversdale, Castlepoint & Pack Spur Rd

The run up to Upper Hutt was freezing, with a low mist up the River Road.

I’d arranged to meet anyone that wanted to ride at 9.00am from Caltex Rimutaka. Loads of bikes coming in, but just me & Brent for this ride. Where were you Paul?

'The Bach' cafe at Martinborough is closed. Anyone know what is happening there? Instead we had a coffee at the Village Café. And watched a brawl in the main street. Not entirely sure what provoked it, but one guy flattened a woman with a single punch. He should be so proud…

Headed out to Hinakura, to ride through to Admirals Rd. The view down into the valley before Hinakura Rd was somewhat clagged in. Vision was problematic.

Council (I assume) has raided the beach to re-gravel the Hinakura Rd. It was quite deep, mostly sand, & gave no confidence. I assume the road was a bit muddy prior?

Round to the Flat Point Road. Missed the Kaiwhata Rd turnoff & found ourselves on the lookout over Flat Point. GT had his accident just round the corner from there in 15th Jan 2012.

Backtracked & took Kaiwhata Rd thru the forestry to Homewood Rd. There had been the odd bit of thick gravel thrown down, mostly on the corners. Noted some tyre tracks going straight ahead at one point. Funny, that’s not where the road went…

To Riversdale for lunch at about 2.00pm. Burger, coke, & chips for Brent, packed Curry Sarnies & coffee from a flask for me.

Quick flick through to Castlepoint. The XT was on reserve, so just luckily there is gas there. 4.00pm & the heat is going out of the sun.

Decided to have a crack at Pack Spur Rd. I should have stopped more often on the road along Mataikona – beautiful along there, & the low sun made the colors special.

I’d only ever done Pack Spur Rd in the summer. It has a couple of small stream crossings, & is more a farm track than a road (it’s a paper road, so not maintained). It was greasy & rutted this time. It climbs quite steeply, & is a mix of clay, rock & pine needles, just so you can’t see which you are on. Perhaps needed tyres with a bit more bite. Then there are a few drainage cross ruts. Fabulous views from the airstrip though.

Te Mai Road was very wet, & gave everything a nice muddy brown coating.

But the time we got back to Tinui Pub it was going dark.

The ride back to Masterton, & then back on SH2 was cold & dark (no moon). Haven’t ridden the Rimutaka’s in the dark for a very long time. Home at 7.20pm.

Google maps tells me that total kms travelled 458kms, & that based on their estimates (excluding the Pack Spur paper road) it should have taken 7hr 54 mins ride time. Gassed up at Upper Hutt with 25 litres. Not sure how much was left in the tank prior, but mileage seems to have improved. Say 28l useage so 16km/litre? Much better than the 12 I was getting previously.

I need a GPS. I can see a few paper roads I'd like to explore / find out if they are viable in that area, mainly Pakowai / Tinui Rd & Springhill Rd. Be good to join some of those loops.

It's just better when there's twins involved....

Box'a'bits screwed with this post 07-05-2013 at 01:56 AM
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote