View Single Post
Old 07-01-2013, 08:54 AM   #29
mka OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
the mammary is coming back to me now....the route i took was roughly....varenna to morbegno to sondrio to edolo to , well you know it....Steinegg..
there were 2 passes along the way there...passo aprica (just a road with a town as i explained) and passo del tonale...also easy peasy.
total time to get to first base was 6 hours and only 300 km covered
passo del tonale...

greenery around Steinegg/Collepietra....very nice rolling hills

being a bit of a dumb ass, i had no idea of why so much German is spoken in Italy....all road signs/menus/adult bars/restaurants/etc all is in german...??
i was amazed about it really and found out since (wikipedia ?) that very generally this part of Italy was part of the AustoHungarian empire way back when and after the great war Italy was on the winning side and the treaty of versailles dudes split up the empire and gave this bit to the Italians (tyrol). But they obviously didn't ask the locals
and I would say they were a bit pissed off about it (i would be).

So i suppose they just kept it the way it was before......and hence my total confusion at the situation which awaited me there !
Anyways.....as I said I got the flock outta there a.s.a.p. and soon it proved to be a stunning area to be scooting around.
I was headed for Nova Levante and Karerpass....no idea what to expect but after stopping in a more Italian part and refuelling on coffee and brioche I was in much
better form.

I stopped at the Karersee...big disappointment...feck all water in da lake now...

bike parked up at lake.....disclaimer...i had a real crap second hand camera then and some were on phone...

is it time for some girly flower pictures I hear you ask.....well, not yet.........patience gets the worm...!!
water, what water...kein wasser..

now i could be very wrong but i think this might be Nova Levante.......if not what can i say ?

this was not a sprint in order to 'bag a pass' but when in the saddle it seemed the right thing to do to stay in the saddle and after all i had no one to share
this sh*t with other than my quieter more thoughtful alter ego...and for that sharing I could just ride on and argue it out with myself safe in the knowledge that
no one can see you talking to yourself when you are wearing a helmet...
this is the Karerpass...it being september and fine weather....the sky was blau

okay, okay girls..relax...here's your long awaited flowery thing

yeah, i know, it's just a close up of the last flowery thing......but those pointy things with swollen heads remind me of something.....not sure what...but...
mka is offline   Reply With Quote