View Single Post
Old 07-01-2013, 10:54 AM   #19
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyjlewis View Post
I went to a dealer yesterday. They didnt have any super motos which is what i am leaning towards right now because honestly i will be doin alot more street driving than i will gravel and i doubt i ever make i to the woods. The klr that i looked at seemed monsterous as i am only 5'9" tall. I like the suzuki 400 alot. I need to save some money and do alot of research on price points and equipment/safety needs for both summer and winter driving. Also i have to find a time to take a safety course and start studying a liscence book for a written test
Sounds like you are about my size, and I also find the KLR to be too big.

If you are thinking supermoto, and saving for a house down payment, your best bet is a used DRZ400SM, possibly with a lowering link. All the work is done for you, and you can find them in the $4,000 - $5,000 range. I have seen a few with knobbie tires for better off road ability.

You could also supermoto something smaller or larger, such as the DR350SE, or XLR650/DR650, but it would end up costing about the same. Based on your road needs, I would say the 350 is too small. The 650 would be great for you, though.
I rode an older XL600R for years, and loved it. I made many trips across the state, sustaining 75 mph for hours.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote