View Single Post
Old 07-02-2013, 11:05 PM   #48
Bill 310
Poser Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by kk3an View Post
It was my own inexperience at high-speed in the dirt that led me to believe my rear-mounted fuel cell would pose no problem, but in reality I was fighting a near-continuous front-end wobble almost the whole time in the dirt, and to a lesser extent on blacktop if I hit any irregularity in the pavement. Aside from that, I couldn't let the bike slide gently through corners in the dirt because the rear end was just too planted on the road.

And on the blacktop the bike was just far too rear-end heavy. I was using Hyperpro shocks adjusted to MAX preload and several times I felt both footpegs hit the road at the same time due to bottoming out. Again not the bike per-se, but the placement of the fuel I feel was a contributor to that.
Perhaps the problem was a combination of the lack of a steering stabilizer, not having your suspension optimized for the ride and far too much weight on the bike. There are a lot of bikes riding the IBR this week with a similar set -up to yours, and Dick Fish did all his big rides on a stock 1150 GS( that had been totalled in a fatal wreck with a Jazz fuel cell, custom sized (very narrow) Happy trails panniers, steering stabilizer and perfectly set up suspension

Scotts now makes a complete stabilizer set-up for the 1200 GS & GSA
Canada "It's a rough place, son. In fact, you have to puke twice and show your razor just to get in. Better grow some whiskers if you wanna go to Canada." Ronnie Hawkins when asking Levon Helm to join his band and play in Canada.
Bill 310 is offline   Reply With Quote