View Single Post
Old 07-03-2013, 09:25 AM   #3992
SFMCjohn

Oddometer: 832
Sonora Pass ...?

Hi BAARC,

We have vague plans to ride from Lower Haight to Sonora Pass over the holiday ...

Here's a screenshot from--and a link to--inmate RockyRaccoon's Day Trippin' thread "Hell's Half Acre - The no-man's land between Hwys 4 and 108" ride report ... it's very useful, with an imbedded map you can zoom in on and some good pics and
compelling writing ... check it out, if you have not seen it!

And here's my map of the three-mile spur up to Leavitt Lake:

We're keeping our eye on the weather, and I've never been to either Hell's Half-Acre Road or Leavitt Lake, shown on the maps, which are a couple of reasons why the plan is vague ... I'm also not sure how crowded it will be around Leavitt Lake on a holiday weekend ... the goal is to get across the Central Valley heat and up into the Sierras to find cooler temps ... lots of scary thunderstorms in the forecast though ... if we can't find camping around Leavitt Lake (or can't make it on our loaded KLRs!) we'll find a campsite with a view off the dirt road that goes down to the Marine Base north of 108 ...

Anyway, if things go accordingly we'll be camping around Leavitt Lake on Thursday night, and seeing how lost we can get on Hell's Half-Acre Road after that ...

So ... clear as mud ...
We'll try to say "hi" if we see anyone else up there this holiday ... it'll be Cary and myself on first-gen KLRs ...

see you around the campfire,
-- SFMCjohn
IBA#'98onaEX500

SFMCjohn screwed with this post 07-03-2013 at 09:39 AM
SFMCjohn is offline   Reply With Quote