View Single Post
Old 07-03-2013, 09:48 PM   #129
mathewsturtevant OP
Motojournalist

Oddometer: 227
And into Arkansas!!

Crossing Mississippi then into a town taken over by Kudzu. After breakfast at a mediocre diner. We set out across the Arkansas farmlands. At first, it was a mix of daunting white sand but that was short lived. It soon became a half day of gravel grid with lots of dust. It was also HOT. But later it became cooler. This was a good way to learn about riding in different types of gravel. The deeper the scarier. The size of the pebbles also determines how to deal with it. I find about 38 mph works pretty good. In 3rd gear I still have enough to goose it if I get the front wheel heading sideways.
Eventually, in the afternoon we started getting a bit less gravel and a bit more elevation. We were pretty tuckered out around 4 so we slabed it to Wooly Hollow campground. I didn't even set up my tent before I went for a swim. IT was delightful. Only two other swimmers, and the sandy floor of the lake reminded me of beaches where I grew up in Wisconsin. I needed some time to not talk to anybody. We grilled hot dogs with chili again.
The first of many, many, many flat, pasture one mile grids that make up much of Ark(South East) and seemingly 400 miles of Oklahoma. All the turns were 90 degrees and the terrain was flat, and gravelly or dusty:

Travis Resting

Richard had lost his tent poles and we were consdiderinf wether or not to go to REI in Little Rock. My wife ended up sending one of my other tents. We did a pretty long ass day and camped at Wooly Hollow St Park.

I really liked that this was a quite state park with a lake that had a sandy floor. It was just what I needed after a long hot day.

Richard lost his tent poles so I gave him some twine and a pole from my rain fly and he rigged this up:

mathewsturtevant screwed with this post 07-06-2013 at 06:13 AM
mathewsturtevant is offline   Reply With Quote