View Single Post
Old 07-04-2013, 02:03 PM   #59
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathmenon View Post
I guess it's one of those cases where we'll have difference of opinions forever. These are my main reasons for not wanting a standalone GPS:
  1. Another thing to carry. A GPS isn't really heavy, but that's another thing to mount, another device to hot wire, and another thing that can break down.
  2. 600 frikking dollars for a decent one. Garmin's hardware is easily 2-3 generations behind current smartphone technology, and is on par with cell phones 6-7 years ago. The display is 240p, dim, and is not even a comparison at all with a Galaxy S3 which is last year's tech by now. The SIRF chip used for GPS is the same, and it comes with a measly 4gb storage (I am guessing). I'd still be willing to put up with this if they were priced accordingly, but Garmin wants 600 dollars for the outfit. I am all for paying good money for well engineered products, but this in my opinion is just ripping customers off because they can. Especially when the car GPSs start at less than 100 bucks.
  3. Did I mention old hardware? The CPU on most GPS' I've looked at are too slow. Searching POIs take forever, and is an exercise in frustration.
  4. Integration with my music. If I am on a long ride, I'd like to listen to music. I prefer my GPS to lower the music volume when it's relaying some instructions. I also like to listen to Spotify, streamed over 3g. I also like to switch between Spotify, Pandora, and my collection of lossless FLACs. No GPS does this.
  5. I don't take phone calls when riding, but I like to be alerted about them with a ring tone so that I can pull over and take an important call. I also like my music to be paused during the phone call and resumed afterwards. All without having to monkey around.
  6. This is a personal preference, but trying to input an address into a GPS has always been frustrating to me. I like the voice prompts of a phone, and vastly prefer the key pad on a phone to the GPS' keyboard.
I could go on with this topic, but I'd rather prefer a navigation app. The value add from Garmin and TomTom is due to their software, and there is no technical reason why an app cannot have the same or better feature sets compared to the standalone devices.

It's true by and large for Google Maps. But Sygic, CoPilot and MapFactor are incredible and are almost on par with a GPS. I'd give it a couple more years before they fully catch up. Sadly, that doesn't help me because I needed some shit that works within this month.
I guess it's one of those cases where we'll have difference of opinions forever. This is my main and only reason for not wanting a do-it-all device:

1. Break/lost it and you lost everything.

One job, one tool. I'm this kind of guy. Even if I'm an IT tech.

You prefer a dedicated smartphone as your GPS? No problem with that. If you prefer the ergos, the software, if you find it more responsive, whatever.

I can lost/break my GPS. I won't be happy but it's not the end of my life. I mean, I can wait few weeks and take my time to read some reviews and wait for a deal to buy another. Same for a camera. But my phone? Everything at the same time?

Anyway, to each his own