View Single Post
Old 07-04-2013, 07:55 PM   #392
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
Perhaps I am missing something but when I plug my 78 (or any other new generation unit of customers) into USB from PC, the GPS turns off and it just behaves like a thumb drive, external memory etc. You can no longer use the GPS.

Very big PITA, plug it in, download something, unplug it (it goes off), Power on GPS, check what was loaded, plug it back into PC, do some other upload download, unplug it, Power on GPS again, etc, etc, etc,

With last generation units you plug them in and do all the work you want, unplug it and give it back to customer with power still on and they walk away checking it.
That's because the gps is set to serial mode so it goes into Mass Storage Mode automatically. You can change it to Spanner mode then when you plug it into a computer, it'll ask if you want Mass Storage Mode or not. But I don't think you can load files to it when it's not in MS mode.

And when you bitch about the gps shutting off when it's unplugged, you should understand that part of the reason it does this is that the gps needs to restart to see all the new files or changes you made, and reindex those changed files, etc. It's in the bootup process that it sets itself up properly.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote