View Single Post
Old 07-04-2013, 09:32 PM   #74
ArmyJoe OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,102
GTFO 2013, Day 1 - July 4th

I set my alarm for 7 AM, but if it went off, I didn't hear it. I had a long ride planned and this did not bode well. When I woke at 9 AM, I scrambled to get loaded. It was almost 10 by the time I left Fort Gordon. More than once today, I'd scream out at nobody in particular, "I want my two hours back!"

With late start, I chose to bypass the first 60 miles of the route. Instead, I shot straight up Route 28 and would meet the trail just south of Abbeville. It wasn't long before I crossed my first state border of the trip.

A quick side trip to check out the Clarks Hill Lake and Dam.

When I finally regained the TETS, I turned south instead of north. I was in this area two weeks ago for the Long Cane Dual Sport and I wanted to check out the site of an Indian massacre. It wasn't long before I'd hit my first gravel of the trip.

The creeks are running high and dirty.

The Long Cane Massacre burial site. Wow, it just struck me. This happened so long ago, these people were English Colonists.

Most of the morning was a good mix of dirt and asphalt. In addition to weaving back and forth between South Carolina and Georgia, I'd also dodge thunderstorms most of the way. Stopping for lunch in Hartwell, Georgia, I saw this old gas station.

It wasn't long before I reached the mountains, but from here, I rode through almost constant rain.

I was running late and cut out a small portion of trail in order to make it to Kickstand Lodge by 9:30 PM. It was a long day, being on the road almost 12 hours and 311 miles.

My latest adventures detailed at ArmyJoe's Perpetual Picture Thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888783

ArmyJoe screwed with this post 07-09-2013 at 05:48 PM
ArmyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote