View Single Post
Old 07-05-2013, 01:09 PM   #33
DavidD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tancakar View Post
It is very high heat. Today London is 26 degrees and fuck,sitting in the traffic, the heat from the bike is unbearable .

I still got a feeling this bikes boils the petrol! I can smell the fucking petrol.
Well I will be at ktm tomorrow again ! It has been 3 weeks I have been there every Saturday.
Threads and posts like this

What's happened!?! You go away and ride your bike for a few weeks and OC turns into GSpot!! Reading this and all the other moaners on here you would think KTM had produced a lemon and that you can tell a 1190 rider cos his left thigh is on fire, he has bloodshot eyes from all the buffeting and he cries himself to sleep every night cos the indicator button is so whatever - not so, it is a superb bike!!

I have had my new 1190R 6 weeks and I have done 3000 miles. 1300 of them to watch Rossi win his first MotoGP in 3 years at Assen in Holland, on a trip via Normandy France and the Ardennes in Belgium with my brother on his Suzuki GSXR 1000.

The 1190R has perfomed way beyond my expectations, it has carried all our camping kit to Europe, commuted each week into London - filtering past everything, and carried my wife to the coast.

It is a different bike to my 990's and better for what I need in almost every way. The power is just there when you need it wth no glitches in the fueling, the Akrapovic pops and burbles on the over-run, the brakes are in a different league to what went before, the standard seat is all-day and I mean 600 mile all-day comfortable, you get a 200 mile tank range if you behave yourself, less if you don't and the mirrors give you great rear vision. But best of all its not a GS. It may have lost some of the Rally styling of the 950/990, but it still has the KTM DNA and it still looks and feels like my Enduro bike, especially the bars.

Anything annoying, well all I can think of and I am struggling here, is the little storage unit near the dash - it is useful (I keep a small front wheel disk lock in there) but the closing mechanism is cheap and weak. Also if you ride over 95 mph (150 KM) or higher for prolonged periods, it can get a little vibey in your throttle hand.

Errrr that's it...................

Yes you can feel the heat on your left thigh, but it is nothing to write home about, maybe if you are stuck in traffic in 30 degrees C or above - but the radiator temp does not move - it stays at 4 bars regardless of how you ride, even in traffic. The indicator switch really is not a problem, you just get used to it. And there is no buffeting - I am 5' 10" and on the highest setting (to fit my sat nav) it is absolutely fine.

I loved my 990R but the 1190R has moved things on and I am just enjoying every ride - I just hope I get to keep my licence - cos it brings out the naughty boy in you on every ride.....
Ducati 998S
DavidD is offline   Reply With Quote