View Single Post
Old 07-05-2013, 02:35 PM   #30
skortch
mmm... curvy

Oddometer: 601
Here's my SVS in touring mode, at Gateway CO...

I drilled the top triple clamp and added a superbike bend handlebar. Instead of going the Buell footpeg route (tried it before, didn't like how it splayed my feet out), I exchanged the stock footpeg brackets for ones from a 2nd gen SV650n. This moved the pegs an inch forward and an inch down while keeping the feet tucked in.

The seat is OK for me. On this 3 day trip all around Colorado, I sat on an Alaska Leathers sheepskin - helped a great deal, for sure.

The sound the SV makes with those Yosh slip-ons is fantastic, especially at start-up. Just so bold and deep, without being (overly) obnoxious. The suspension is so-so but can certainly be improved. Overall, I slightly prefer my old SV650s' better handling (aftermarket suspension) and especially lighter weight over the SV1000s' increase in power.

Now, given a choice between the Triumphs triples and the SV, I'd probably go Street-Speed-SV, in about that order. (I'd take a Daytona 675 over all of them if I could figure out a way to make it semi-comfortable...) That's based on some test rides of the triples, not long-term exposure. However, I bought my SV for 2500 so if cost plays into things it's a fine choice.