View Single Post
Old 07-05-2013, 02:40 PM   #120
SR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 983
Day 1 Photos.

I think this is my cue to come in with the Day 1 photos?

When the event first gets going out of town and off the pavement it's kind of a crowded dust bowl with all the ATVs. After about an hour the pack separates out and it gets quiet and peaceful.

The foothills west of town get more rain than the city and the grass is already starting to turn green. We don't have 4 seasons in NW Mexico. Only Hot, Rainy, and Cold. We are now transitioning from the Hot to Rainy.

Typical logging/ranching road, about 100 Km west of Durango city.

The forest in this area looks very similar to the Front Range of Colorado. However, the rocks here are all volcanic tuff not metamorphics as in the Front Range.

The first half of Day 1 was mostly on flat mesas with a few steep loose uphill sections, and then a fun run for several kilometers up a river bed until lunch.

This is lunch time and refueling. A lot of this area is fairly isolated but the lunch is back at a paved road with good access out. I hadn't ridden with Tricepilot off road before, so I didn't know what to expect. The first part of the first day is kind of a shakedown. My contingency plan was to boot him down the paved road at this point if he couldn't hang, before we got into the big country, but he was doing just fine so we kept him along!!.

Several people, including my Concuno bailed for the day at this point and we were only a third of the way through the first day.

I have to go to a BBQ. I'll do part 2 of Day 1 when I get back.

SR screwed with this post 07-06-2013 at 03:17 PM
SR is offline   Reply With Quote