View Single Post
Old 07-05-2013, 04:33 PM   #10
cberry OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Old Friends

Nice to hear from both Frank and Marty. Frank, if you are comfortable with the windows OS, I would suggest you take a look at the new 13" Sony Vaio. It's smaller, lighter, and cheaper than my new MacBook Air ( which is really last year's model). Learning a new OS is a super pain. I have an older vaio and really like it. It has a mechanical hard drive, but the new ones have a solid state one, just like my Macbook. If I had only known...

Marty, one of these days! Sorry we missed each other the other year.

Happy Birthday to me! Seventy-five years young. Celebrating by myself in a motel room after another abbreviated ride today.

I woke without benefit of an alarm at 5AM EDT to a dry morning and a beautiful sunrise (over the motel parking lot)! Pictures as soon as I can figure out my MAC.

Underway 6AM. The GPSmap378 is showing significant weather along my route, but west of my current position. Iíll be heading into it as the day progresses. At about 7:30AM the scattered green rain was starting to close in on me so I stopped at a nearby motel to suit up for rain. Crossing into the central time zone in western Florida I reflected on the fat that my wake-up had occurred at 4AM CDT!

Now Iím riding in mostly green and yellow rain with occasionally some light red. This is all flowing up from the south and as I look ahead I can see much more red. Iím low on gas so I stop for food & gas. A sightseeing bus has a close encounter with my bike in the parking lot before stopping to disgorge a full load of passengers as I hurry into the fast food place for coffee and a sack, just beating the crowd.

With only forty-some miles out of the tank I see frequent cloud to ground lightning up ahead and review my options. Thereís a lonely exit coming up with only minimal services, and beyond it, the Interstate continues with no obvious close exits. So I bail out, not wanting to be forced to continue into some dark red rain (and lightning). As I exit I see a sign for NAS Whiting Field, 12 miles. Itís north of the track, but in the direction of less severe weather. Iíll play my Ďretired navyĒ card and see about a room. I waited under cover for an hour or so to see if the weather will improve, but it doesn't. This is it.

Heavy rain all afternoon. Flood warnings, etc. No sign of a let-up. Spent the day drying the gear without too much success.

Still working on the fix for my link to Spotwalla. Fixed it at 6PM CDT!

This thread is worthless without pictures! FIXED 7/8/13
MOA 94523
Indian Harbour Beach, FL
'06/'07....What a year it was! 49 States, 5 Provinces, AND New Zealand, North and South Island

cberry screwed with this post 07-08-2013 at 02:19 PM
cberry is offline   Reply With Quote