View Single Post
Old 07-05-2013, 06:47 PM   #36
histguy OP
Histguy

Oddometer: 38
In Interlochen, Michigan

First, let me apologize for the slow first post. We had difficulty finding internet on our first night.

Finally the day has come! I awoke early this morning, anxious to get on the road. We had a set time to meet at 10am in Imlay City, Michigan, so I didn’t leave till 8am. Thankfully, the overnight rain storm passed so I only had to use the lower half of my rain suit to start.

We found out last minute that Tom’s buddy Joe was able to join us for the first night. Here is Tom and Joe getting ready to go

The bulk of the day was planned to be on the super-slab. Not much in the way of interesting things to see between London and Sarnia so I took highway 402.

I made it to Sarnia and crossed into the the US over the Blue Water Bridge

One thing that I always notice as the main difference between US highways and Canadian ones is that the US ones have so many more billboards

We both arrived at the Tim Hortons in Imlay City right at 10am.

More superslab- I-69 to I-75 then to M-10. Traffic was heavy as it is the 4th of July and ‘going north’ is the state’s pastime.

We finally made our way into the north country- you can see the landscape change.

We arrived in the late afternoon around 4pm at Cycle-More, a motorcycle campground in Interlochen.

This is a haven for motorcyclists. The owner greats you personally and invites you to look around his small museum. It is really more of a collection of old bikes piled into a small room. Impressive to see all these rare bikes

Especially this tike that they are currently working on. The engine is still in the back

Nice campground dedicated to bikers. Just find your own campsite, $7 per person. Cheap wood, clean hot showers, and free ice cream!

We then headed for a supper, bbq chicken for me. Maddy's US 31, just outside of the campground to the East. Excellent find!

Then just a night of Tom and Joe reminiscing around the campfire (they go way back). Total mileage for Tom was 281, I was more like 320
histguy is offline   Reply With Quote