View Single Post
Old 07-05-2013, 08:55 PM   #251
ABee OP
Near Normal

Oddometer: 140
RobinsBro, thecanoeguy, Madhouse, John65, wiserthannone, Bob, WECSOG, norham, Slowernolder- Thanks for the comments!
Critic- I would not have wanted to push the Toad 30 feet up that snotty hill, let alone a 950 twin! You also have a sharp eye. One of the mistakes I made was not loading a good topo map for every state I passed through; it would have helped with the reroutes and detours. In Oregon, I just followed the TAT GPS track with no topo at all, just the basic road map that came loaded into the 62s. This was not smart, and it caused me a good bit of aggravation when I had to find alternative routes. I think I need to do a posting about “what I learned from my mistakes” while on the trip as well as what seemed to work well for me. It might save someone a little trouble.
JackB1- Thanks for being the inspiration for my choice of the Toad over the KTM for this trip. As someone mentioned earlier, I would have had fun either way, but I made a lot of new friends just being on that little old bike. As you know from your own journey, it is more about what you choose to do with what you have. Sometimes it is a little more fun being the underdog. I am sure that we will meet at an event or on the trail someday. I appreciated your support during my ride.
stuntheavy- I scouted that trail as well, for about 300 yards. You are right, the undergrowth was way too heavy to ride through.
JerryH- I worked on a lot of F-7’s back in the day. They had strong motors for a 175. Thanks for the warning on the fires, but the TAT ran through Utah and Nevada to the north.
bakaster- I am sure that little TS-90 is just waiting for you to hit the trail with it!
mefadv- Love the picture!
For everyone asking about Donna, she has rewarded herself with a vacation from me, the Toad and our two sweet but hyper Brittanys for a couple of weeks. She is now off the coast of Maine on a sailboat. She deserves a little quiet time after being my crew chief for the past month!
So what is next for the Toad? Now that they have extended the TAT through North Carolina, I plan to do that sometime in the late summer or fall and invite others on old 2-stoke bikes that may be interested to join me on the ride.

ABee screwed with this post 07-05-2013 at 09:04 PM
ABee is offline   Reply With Quote