View Single Post
Old 07-05-2013, 10:36 PM   #140
mathewsturtevant OP
Motojournalist

Oddometer: 226
cont'd

In Boise city OK, we ate breakfast and watched a cute little parade celebrating the Spanish Trail or.. well I can't remember. But it was quaint. After leaving town and heading back out into the gravel grids in the last few miles of blah Oklahoma, I realized we were going to go over 140 miles till the next anything and I had very little water in my camel back. EEK! I told the guys to wait and turned around and went 5 miles back into town. The guys don't worry about much. I always do, and my first worry is running out of gas or water. So When I filled up my camel back, I also filled up my tank..agin just in case(turns out lots of folks run out near Trinidad, so I am glad I did). My next worry was the GPS. It was always turning off from vibration. Well, whie we we in Boise city, I rush to the library and downloaded the GPS track for New Mexico from Sam's TAT website. I never had done this before and wasn't sure how to do it, or how it would work. The previous states of Ok, Ark, MISS, TENN, GEORGIA, north and south Carolina, I had just been using maps and roll charts.
So, I'm worrying about this and that and then it occurs to me, the guys are just out on a road with zero landmarks and it's just one mile grids I wasn't really paying attention, if I miscount I am screwed, cell phones don't work and the roll charts are irrelevant because I backtracked, so now my odometer was off Every road looks exactly the same and they are all just a mile apart I had made a few turns, but which ones???? I could spend hours just finding the guys.....
but soon enough I see them up ahead and they're as calm as could be. I apologize about forgetting water and we move forward.

mathewsturtevant screwed with this post 07-06-2013 at 04:36 PM
mathewsturtevant is offline   Reply With Quote