View Single Post
Old 07-06-2013, 07:08 AM   #4697
Taranis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by micko01 View Post
Yep, this is complete crap. I just spent 3 weeks in Iran on holiday and they are easily the most friendly and hospitable people I have met anywhere. Incredibly friendly and welcoming. We were given all sorts of things, juice, bread, biscuits, fruit by complete strangers just because its a nice thing to do.

I cant wait to go back.
The people, I won't disagree in principle. But in any country, you are going to encounter the government. Any American with the least bit of familiarity with this case is not making plans to visit. And gaining the greater bit of familiarity doesn't change that any. Basically, three hippie peaceniks from San Francisco take some time out from basically humanitarian jobs to go hiking in a part of Kurdistan that is generally regarded as safe, but happens to be on the border with Iran. Someone starts yelling, gesticulating, waving at them from a distance. They walk toward him to try to understand what communication is being attempted. As best they can figure out later, they were still in Iraq when the shouting started and probably crossed the line either before or after reaching his location. He's a soldier, they end up being arrested. Happy ending...

Generally, any Mongol Rally team with an American has had to work out a route that avoids the place.

Taranis screwed with this post 07-06-2013 at 07:15 AM
Taranis is offline   Reply With Quote