View Single Post
Old 07-06-2013, 11:48 PM   #4005
SFMCjohn

Oddometer: 808
Lake Leavitt ...

We made it ... four hours from Lower Haight via KLR ...

A map of the four mile high-clearance 4 wheel drive road to Lake Leavitt ...

Cary and Ryan ... Ryan met up with us by riding up and over Mt. Patterson on the 4th on his loaded for camping KLR, with big digital and film cameras ... a bad-ass ...

One of the water crossings on Lake Leavitt Road ...

We only saw seven bikes over three days ... our three KLRs, a couple of Hondas and these nice guys on KTMs ... ours were the only loaded bikes ...

Forgot to ask if they were inmates, but they rode up to say "hi" and chat a bit about fishing and places to ride ...

Lake Leavitt is around 9600 feet above sea level ... right at tree line ... this is the water crossing at the lake's outlet ...

It was not so crowded on the 4th that it wasn't super easy to find a beautiful place to camp ... the road kind of sheds travelers ... before every sketchy stretch there would be cars parked where the drivers had decided that discretion was the better part of valor ...

Oh well ... pics don't do it justice ... it's a three mile road off 108 ... long, steep, rocky and loose ... Bulls were dogged, handlebars touched the ground ... lots of fun ...

We did get to explore the very beginning of Hell's Half-Acre Road ... really pretty ... will be heading back up there to try to make my way from 108 to 4 ... Beginning to see why this was Ben Java's favorite ... super easy (quick) from the Bay Area ...

Lake Leavitt is in a "Wilderness Study Zone" ... ride it while you can, I guess ...

see you around the campfire,
-- SFMCjohn ...
IBA#'98onaEX500

SFMCjohn screwed with this post 10-16-2013 at 03:08 AM
SFMCjohn is offline   Reply With Quote