View Single Post
Old 07-07-2013, 03:51 AM   #61
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by plane_ben View Post
Got alittle farther along with my trials mods. I made the subframe much skinnier. After looking at the Peter Gaunt bike for a few more hours, I realized how they did it. First was to cut off outer down support from the shock mount to the outer swing arm mount tab. I refitted the down support by shortening the required amount and rewelded onto the top corners of the rear engine mount.

Then I made two plates for either side and located the holes for the swingarm bolt, and used some smaller dia. tube to slide into the rear engine mount cross tube. These I welded to the bottom of the side plates. I also welded the footpegs on and made the rear brake lever pivot.

Having lots of fun with this project. Next on the agenda is shorting the swingarm 1". Then I'll tackle the biggy, front fork rake.

You might find that mounting the footrests so high makes the bike very difficult to ride in competition, as the high position will make the bike feel less than stable, and mean that balance is far from easy.

I would suggest leaving the swinging arm stock, as reducing the length will mean grip is harder to find, and if the head angle is altered the right amount (to reduce wheelbase by at least 40mm), the shorter swinging arm will make the front end very light.

Best possible set up motor wise for the old TL250, is conversion to 305cc, which is achieved with a bigger bore, and using the longer stroke crank fitted to XL350. Effectively this is what was used on the TL based works bikes, and provides a big improvement over the trail bike style stock motor.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote