View Single Post
Old 07-07-2013, 10:41 AM   #106
jules083 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
jules,
I have the Harbor Freight version of your trailer for my Ural ( can't tow it yet because it voids the warranty ) and the box is bolted to the frame in four places with big fender washers on the inside.

You have the one I should have bought. Instead I bought the flatbed model from Harbor Freight and a car-top carrier from Sears. I sat and looked it it for a bit longer, I have a good plan now using 2x4's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Are you sure about that?

It seems to me that for all the time, effort and money you are using to set up and equip your bike and trailer you could have found and purchased some better gear and IMPROVED your camping experience (and saved much more than 5 pounds) without even bothering with a trailer and the increased risk of pulling one.
My gear is actually pretty good, it's just that there's a lot of it. The most recent trip I brought, not counting what I was wearing:

Rain gear x2
Tent (euraka that packs small)
Sleeping bags X2 (mid grade stuff, packed pretty small)
3 pairs of pants, 2 for her one for me
4 pairs of socks (2 each)
Flip flops X2
4 shirts
Tarp (build a lean-to next to tent. Rained hard both nights, it was worth it)
2 Pocket chairs (I recommend these) http://www.amazon.com/Allstar-Market.../dp/B004P33I70
Shower stuff (we shared most of it)
Sleeping pads, the blue things on the saddlebags
Cell phone charging
tools
shorts x2

That's about it off the top of my head. I could have lost the tarp, chairs, and sleeping pads. Without the tarp we would have been huddled in tents rather than all of us enjoying the evening. Chairs pack pretty small (see the link) and were nice to have. Sleeping pads were a luxury. I could get smaller ones, but I doubt i would have saved much.

Truth be told I don't know if I'd have used the trailer here, considering it was only 3 days. Any longer and I would have. Riding solo I wouldn't have needed it at all.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is online now   Reply With Quote