View Single Post
Old 07-07-2013, 08:36 PM   #41
DGraham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
Throwing myself under the bus...

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely HATE loud pipes. Harley riders in general have rubbed me the wrong way way more often than not, but I won't say I hate them just yet. But the mockery of this mantra just keeps coming up lately and I've been thinking about it.

The other day, I was driving (car) along the hwy and before I even looked in my rear view, I heard a rider with his loud pipes coming up. If he was in my blind spot, I certainly would have known he was there. Annoying as all hell, but I would have known.

I'm also not denying that the 'real' reason they do the loud pipes thing is because they are macho, cool etc... But is it not reasonable to say they probably have saved a life or two? It would certainly be less likely to notice me on my quiet bike, would it not? I would think I would definitely notice them approaching from behind before I would you or I in our reflective gear.

Excuse the naiveté. If I'm missing something, fill me in. I'm perfectly willing to accept your side as I'm already leaning towards animosity.
DGraham is offline   Reply With Quote