View Single Post
Old 07-07-2013, 09:34 PM   #741
the_sandman_454
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
I have yet to determine what they have in the stockroom at the local dealer, I can see shelves full of parts boxres back there but anything I need is special order.... Even simple things like valve shims, air filters, oil filters, gaskets, o-rings...

How the hell do they service bikes without these things in stock????
I suspect it involves them being petty about the fact that you're not using their service department to perform the work, so they're going to get back at you by making you wait. It is hard to even imagine them being so poorly mismanaged as to not have basic parts for their service folks to use and remain in business long. It is sort of funny, but what many dealers seem to fail to realize is that if the customer is going to have to order something anyway, he will likely do it online and skip the markup. Yet another way brick and mortar stores seemingly willingly shoot themselves in the foot.

Dealer here wanted to charge me $120 for the same crappy maintenance type battery that failed within a couple of years. I got a much better maintenance free AGM battery for $65 shipped to my door. I realize the dealer needs to make a reasonable amount but seriously, they could buy the battery I did at retail, mark it up $20-25 and sell them all day long vs having excessively marked up stock junk clogging the shelves. Of course that ignores the fact they can get them wholesale and make even more. Many people are willing to pay a premium to have the item same day, myself included.

the_sandman_454 screwed with this post 07-07-2013 at 09:43 PM
the_sandman_454 is online now   Reply With Quote