View Single Post
Old 07-08-2013, 09:58 PM   #29
stan.riner OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asienizen View Post
I don't know if this thread is still active, I've lived in Hanoi for over 1.5 years. The north has some amazing countryside for riding, great karst topography and mountains. As far as getting a bike, you can get the 175cc or larger bikes, but to do it fully legal is a big hassle. I'd suggest getting a 125 or 150cc bike. Most guys I know have a 125, I've got a 150 - and every little bit helps. Some fellows get the 170cc Rebel, but that may be hard to come by. Also, you can get large bikes on The New Hanoian, but you may be riding "less than legal". I don't know if you are familiar with that site, but I've found TNH to be very helpful.

Again welcome to Vietnam, and post some pictures from your trips around the north. I'd recommend a week up to Ha Giang sometime.
Thanks for the advice. We'll be in Hanoi late Saturday night and staying at the Somerset next to the Hanoi Hilton. We're working our butts off getting the house ready to rent out so we'll rest on Sunday. We have to take care of some stuff at the US Embassy on Monday before heading to the Haiphong area Monday night. Then on to Van Don/Cam Pha area on Tuesday morning. In the beginning, we'll probably only be able to do day trips due to my work load. Hopefully, later on it'll slow down and we can do some weekend trips around the local area.
I've been on TNH already. It's a neat web site. By the way, what's the deal with everyone putting the word "beer" in all of their posts? Do you know the story behind that?

Re: riding, I've accepted that I'm not going to get an A2 license. I hope to find a decent dual sport to ride. I'm 6'2" 225 so any distance on a Honda Win is probably not going to be fun. I also understand the benefit of having a common bike when on the road so that repairs and getting parts are easier. It's a trade-off I suppose. My wife wants a cafe-style 67 to ride around on. She's a very experienced motorcycles both dirt and street (may have mentioned this early in this thread, don't remember). PM me your email address if you don't mind so we can keep in touch.

stan.riner screwed with this post 07-08-2013 at 09:59 PM Reason: added the part about TNH
stan.riner is offline   Reply With Quote