View Single Post
Old 07-09-2013, 11:07 AM   #61
Miles are my mantra
jonz's Avatar
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
Oddometer: 2,475
After 2004, some KTM's were still getting plates from dealer even though they weren't eligible for them. I had a friend that owned a KTM dealership that was doing it. The DMV computers were programmed to deny plates to the big Japanese manufacturers but for some reason (quite probably due to the reason stated below) KTM's still got plates. However, as has been mentioned in previous threads in this West forum, DMV started pulling those plates. I kind of lost touch with the issue and haven't kept up with the latest developments.

Here's the form that must be filed out:

There are "none" boxes which can be checked under items 6 and 8, and it's possible it will go through DMV with the "none" boxes checked. DO NOT remove the labels as that is the same as removing/altering the VIN and will possibly subject you to criminal prosecution and/or impounding the vehicle. I'm just pointing out that no labels is not an absolute deal killer. My recommendation is to go through the process truthfully and hope for the best.

Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Let us know how it goes Perry.

For a 2004 the C or 3 just means it's green sticker or red sticker. Does not grant it hiway usage. You may get a dumb clerk that will do it, but don't be surprised if they turn you down. The answer you got could very well have been referring to later models that are CARB certified for hiway licensure.

KTM does not state on their MSO (manufacturers statement of origin) that the bike is 'offroad use only' or 'competition use only' so that helps. But those were not hiway bikes and on a new title application they are required to do a vin check, specifically looking for a 50-state EPA sticker saying it conforms to federal hiway standards. The inspector will ask you where this sticker is. They have to sign the VIN Check form that it has it on there, enter their badge number and contact phone number. This is what confuses some (Larry) on "going by the VIN." The VIN has a year of manufacture coded into it, and 2004 KTM EXC's are not CARB legal for hiway use. And yes, the cutoff was 2004 for getting non-hiway motorcycles plated. It also happened that there were no newer bikes that year (2004) so that's where the year cutoff moniker comes from.

You will also need a lighting inspection certificate and sign an affidavit that the bike meets hiway regs for safety equipment. However they do not check for this equipment, you sign that it has it. Some bike shops can provide this for you - I got one done without them even looking at it for $50.

Good luck! Jerry Jahn got his, maybe you will too.
KTM 950 SE, KTM640 ADV ( Hibachi, risen from the ashes)
KTM520EXC (broken), KTM 400XC (the replacement)
Honda ST1300 ABS (newest addition to the stable)
STOC #326 IBA #217
jonz is offline   Reply With Quote