View Single Post
Old 07-09-2013, 07:24 PM   #22116
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Oddometer: 2,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonU View Post
I'm pretty sure that I could have just as much fun in the appalachains, rockies, or sierras as you could in the Alps.
Maybe so, some people have a great time getting on the interstate and riding 1000 miles in a day, but like the guy from FL that posted prior, about an hour on the interstate and I am ready to find a bridge abutment to make it stop. If you get immense enjoyment from twisty roads, you can't get the concentration of twisty stuff anywhere in NA, yes I have fun in the Smokey's, and there are a FEW roads that rival Europe, but not thousands of them. As I said take EVERY great set of twisty pavement in N America, cram it in an area 1//2 the size of Colorado, and could get a sense of Europe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonU View Post
Can I ask why the shot you used for California was to a different scale than the other two (i maybe missing something)? If you could have them all at the same scale it would be a more accurate comparison. As it is the California map covers nearly 3 times the area. It would stand to reason that there isn't as much detail on that one as opposed to your ones of italy.
Don't get me wrong though. The roads in the alps are tons of fun. I just think the comparison is a little biased towards the european maps due to the smaller area having more detail.
The CA map was from Doxidog (the pic fail) in post #22130. It looks like a great route BTW. I used my scale because that is the highest scale mapsource shows the secondary roads, if i zoomed in more there are more, but there are a lot of 2 track roads when you get that detail. Search the CA area yourself, and you will find there is not many other roads in that area by the look of it. So actually the opposite, If I used the same scale for the Doxi's area, it would have cut out 2/3 of what he highlighted, so it is actually a Bias toward CA, not the other way around.
PFFOG is offline   Reply With Quote