View Single Post
Old 07-11-2013, 02:50 AM   #4
Scott_F OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaseun View Post
I was in the black hills just last week for the Black Hills 100. My wife went running the race on Saturday and I went and rented a harley sportster and rode through the black hills. I was really dreaming about having either my XT-225 or my Burgy 400 out there. Such awesome roads and such friendly people. The Harley did the job and was nice.
Once we got there, I was disappointed that we didn't have more time. Had I known, we wouldn't have dawdled so much in Yellowstone. We stayed in Belle Fourche and then Hill City, left our baggage in the motel and toured over some awesome roads. We never got to the Badlands, so we'll have to go back.

Very briefly, we went south from Calgary through Great Falls, then through the Little Belt Mountains and Bridger Range to Bozeman, via West Yellowstone to Cooke City, Red Lodge, Jackson and Cody. We saw all the sights and road all the roads. There were too many tourists in Yellowstone. They pose a menace, double-parked in the middle of the highway taking pictures of whatever it is up the hill.

Anyway, then east through Lovell and over the Bighorns to Sheridan, then next day up along the Little Bighorn to where Custer met his fate before we headed down US 212 to Belle Fourche. Then we saw Devil's Tower and went down to Newcastle before coming back via Spearfish Canyon and the next day we moved to Hill City, dumped our stuff in a motel and did the obligatory stop at Mt.Rushmore before heading down to Custer on the Sylvan Lake Road and coming up via Crazy Horse. Second day we rode the Iron Mountain Road, Wildlife Loop and Needles Highway, all in the same day. Wow. Next day we rode around the loop again before heading east and homeward.

We went west through Greybull, where it was 95 by noon, then across the flattop to Gilette and then up to Sheridan along US 14. It was very hot across Wyoming. Next day we froze on top of Beartooth Pass going back to Red Lodge, maybe 1000 ft above the cloud ceiling riding through a big black thunderstorm. Thay was July 4. Red Lodge was swamped, with water coming over the sidewalks, roads washed out and at least one motel flooded. Fireworks were postponed to the next day. By then we were in Helena, after getting wet again coming through the Big Belt Mountains from White Sulphur Springs. Saturday we went along MT 279 to MT 200 to US 287 and 89 to Valier and then Shelby, rode some excellent roads. Sunday we crossed into Albert and came home to Calgary.

Seventeen days, 5760 km. Over the course of the journey, my Burgman averaged 23.5 km per liter, or 56 miles per US gallon. It was carrying me and at least 100 lbs of camping stuff and other baggage. I'm glad the Burgman is a "step-through" because I could never get my leg over that pile of stuff. The Burgmans were awesome. We like to motor along at an easy pace, 50 or 60 mph, but there were a couple of times when we had to go with traffic, which in Montana whistles down the Interstate at 80 mph.

This was an awesome ride...

Regards
Scott Fraser
Calgary
Scott_F is offline   Reply With Quote