View Single Post
Old 07-11-2013, 12:06 PM   #13
brunstei OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 407
Day 7 - June 21

Day 7
Up fairly early. Honda shop is "across town" (not very far, relatively speaking) and I know there's an A&W near it. They have cheap breakfasts and wifi, so go there for breakfast while I wait for Honda to open. Well, thw Whitehorse A&W doesn't have wifi, it turns out, so unable to send position updates and emails. Over to Honda - ask nicely - and they adjust it properly, out in about 5 minutes.

Thanks again to Whitehorse Honda. Helpful staff.

Next mission of the day, is Yukon decal. Check out downtown Whitehorse until I find one, and apply it. My NWT decal is now balanced.

Off to Carcross. Take pictures at Emerald Lake,

Emerald Lake. [Rollei 6008i, 50mm Distagon]

the Carcross Desert,

Carcross Desert [Rolleiflex 6008i, 50mm Distagon]

and town itself - including a few of White Pass & Yukon train rolling into town.

WP&Y rail bridge and old dock, Carcross: [Rolleiflex 6008i]

Passenger cars, WP&Y [Rolleiflex 6008i]

Then onward through Bennett, B.C. (You have to get to Skagway via B.C., which seems odd, particularly when you see road maintenance signs saying it's part of Dease Lake district. Dease Lake, by road, is a long ways from here.) Five years ago, weather was bad here and didn't see a lot. Today, it's clear, and hot - close to 30C. I have every vent in the Captain Highlighter suit open, and it's just tolerable. The scenery is spectacular - sort of tundra with lakes and lichen covered rocks and occasional stunted trees. There's still patches of snow. Leave the photography for return leg (it will be easier to pull off on side I want to shoot) and on to the border. Road construction on the last bit of the Canadian side is messy - mushy gravel and paving. Past the border cairn and 12 miles to the US customs building. Another WP&Y train comes labouring up Chilkoot Pass while I am waiting - try to get it with the small camera.

WP&Y coming up Chilkoot Pass behind a steam locomotive [Canon SX130]

At the border explain I'm just going to get a state decal. With a straight face the officer tells me those have been outlawed in Skagway. I laugh and head on into town - where he's nearly right. In a town which is nothing but tacky souveneir shops, I end up having to go through most of then before I finally get one.

This photo of Skagway, with the cruise ship looming in the background, says it all. [Canon SX130]

Apply it, then ride back. Photos along the way. Quick crossing back into Canada at Bennett, then more photos. One stop is in the deep mushy gravel referred to earlier, and rear tire skids, but I keep the bike upright.

Photos near Bennett, BC. [Rolleiflex 6008i; 50mm except last one, 80mm]

Back in Whitehorse at campground, a Harley with Dutch license plates pulls into the camp site across from me. Bas freighted his motorcycle to New York from Holland, and today he's 16 days out from NYC. He's planning to reach Anchorage, then ride back to NYC. He joins me and we walk into town, find a bar for Midsummer eve.

Walking into town along the Yukon River. (You may need to click on photo and view from the host to get it full size - it's a large panorama image). [iPhone 5]

We pick the right one - 120 some beers on the list and a handful of Swiss, German, and Maritimers hanging out. Beer and a snack plate (fresh vegetables really taste good right now, haven't had a lot last few days!) We drink beer and chat until midnight then walk back to the camp.

Looking back at Whitehorse, midnight on Midsummer Day [iPhone 5].

Nice warm night, didn't need the down shirt to sleep comfortably.

Today's total 359km
brunstei is offline   Reply With Quote