View Single Post
Old 07-11-2013, 11:35 PM   #1
Lostsaffa OP
Half Man Half BRP

Oddometer: 626
XR650R 1x Baja 1000 Replica Build

The XR650R had a very successful stint as a Baja 1000 race bike from the early naughties with Team Honda USA with riders like Johnny Campbell/Steve Hengeveld/Mike Childress. I will not attempt to go into the history and stats (as these are easy to find with a Google search), but in short the XR650R kicked ass from its first year to its last, when it was replaced by the more nimble CRF450. It has however still got a strong presence amongst the more amateur desert racers even today.

I have chosen to replicate the Team Honda 1x bike from the 2005 Baja 1000 as it was towards the final development of the race bike prepared by Precision Concepts and has the best mods I feel. This page will document what I have done so far and what is still left to do (mostly in pictures). I want it as close to the original within reason (reason meaning: there are parts that are incredibly rare and not entirely known to many people and the full extent of the engine mods was a very secret operation and remains so until today).

If nothing else I hope this helps anyone else who would like to find any of the parts needed in the future for their own build. As of 2013 parts are getting hard to find and If anyone needs help please ask!

Early days (March 2013)

Parts begin arriving

Early progress

As it looks today (12/07/2013)

Parts are coming thick and fast right now, but the only bits I can't get my hands on are the JC signature BRP triple clamps and the works rear calliper (not likely to get this though). I have been blessed with help by those involved in the Baja XR's and people connected to the riders and I would like to thank everyone for helping so far.

More specific information about the work done and the parts needed will follow over the next few days/months. I hope to complete the build by latest December 2013.

Long live the 'Baja King'!

Lostsaffa screwed with this post 08-20-2013 at 02:36 PM
Lostsaffa is offline   Reply With Quote