Originally Posted by Adv Grifter
I learned this in the 80's doing Baja rides:
The standard rule for our 1500 mile Baja Ride (about 70% off road) was:
1. New Tires/Tubes (with 3 spare tubes on board)
2. New Chain/Sprockets (spare master link, spare CS sprocket)
3. New Battery
4. Complete service, checking/lubing all bearings
5. Loc Tite everything, check all fasteners
6. Complete Tool kit, spares, nut/bolt kit
7. First Aid kit
I have similar requirements when we go. Before our "Forever West trip, I asked my friend "how old is your 950 battery" ?
I told him to change it out before we leave,
why ? he asked.
"Because I aint pushing or towing your bike across the big empty on a 25 degree morning"
He said: "why not, I'd push yours".
He dropped a new one in.