View Single Post
Old 07-12-2013, 07:59 PM   #2042
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeryder View Post
I think the 4.0 was available in the WJ Grand Cherokee until 2004 as well. The 4.0 is an unbelievable engine. I sold an Accord to a dude that had an XJ with the 4.0 that decided he needed something new since the XJ was at roughly 375,000 miles; and the only thing wrong was the oil pump needed replacing That kind of longevity is as good or better than anything on the road! I'm amazed that after last weekends trip of over 800miles with about 100 of those being off road my nearly 20 year old 4.0 didn't even use a drop of oil!

To say ditching the 4.0 was a mistake by many is probably a bit harsh. The basic engine design was 40 years old at the time it was retired. About every bit of power, economy and efficiency was tapped by the time it was retired. I don't think any other auto company was using a design that old at that time. The saddest part was that the plant that manufactured those engines, had been in pretty much continuous operation for like 100years and once Chrysler stopped making the 4.0 the plant only remained open for a few more years making those less than stellar mini-van engines and then closed forever.
Yeah, the WJ used it till 2004 but they had also been using the Powertech 4.7L since 1999. When the last 4.0L came off the time, it was their 5 millionth. Pretty amazing really.