View Single Post
Old 07-14-2013, 09:57 AM   #4127
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeygod View Post
... it got me thinking! I am curious to hear what tools and spares you fellow 640 owners carry with you:

1. On a day / long weekend ride;

2. Extras you add for multi-day rides, say a week or two, like portions of CDT or TAT (North America)?

This is the kit I carry anytime I ride. I have assembled these tools over time with the intent of keeping it light and compact while still including everything needed for repairs short of a top end job. It handles all the normal maintenance tasks with the addition of a feeler gauge and "Creeper straw" for valve adjustments.
  • Cut off 5 mm hex key (valve covers)
  • Hex drive assortment: 1/4" square drive hex soocket, 4, 5, 6, & 8 mm hex; 8-10 flat (short & 3 1/2"), 5-6 flat, P1, P2 (short & 3 1/2")
  • CRKT mini knife
  • Sockets: 6, 8, 10, 13, & 19mm
  • 1/4" to 3/8" adapter
  • Thin wall 18mm spark plug socket (Allen brand fits the LC4)
  • 1/4" flex handle
  • 1" & 3" 1/4" drive extensions & universal
  • 5 1/2" long X 3/4" cheater (conduit)
  • Open end combination wrenches: 8/10, 10/11, 10/13, 14/17
  • KTM pliers
  • KTM axle wrench
I use a 1/4" drive because it is sufficient for anything that isn't put on wrong. I also carry: a couple of 8 1/2" tire irons, patch kit, and spare 21" tube in a fender bag for flats; a bicycle pump strapped to the top of the forks; spare clutch handle & cable; assorted cable ties; and a length of fence wire.

For multi-day trips I include a small multi-meter, electric tape, portable butane soldering iron & solder, 12 g wire, fuses, epoxy stick, chain tool, tow strap, spare shift lever, assorted nuts & bolts, spare head & tail light bulbs, and Locktite. I keep a copy of the wiring diagram on my smartphone.

Sparrowhawk is online now   Reply With Quote