View Single Post
Old 07-14-2013, 02:46 PM   #481
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER

Oddometer: 3,110
Thursday afternoon a friend from work and his Ducati Monster joined me on a ride.

I was going back to Pittsburgh to spend the night and be at the finish Friday morning of the Iron Butt Rally.

He has been wanting me to go with him to All Seasons Motorcycle Dealer in Wooster, Ohio so we went there first, then he headed home and I went east to Pennsylvania.

As you can see in the picture I installed the top Caribou Case along with the side cases for the first time to see if I liked it, as I usually just strap a dry bag on the back rack.
It does come in handy being top loading for items you use often.
The side loading cases have alot going for them except that they are side loading.After using top loading panniers in the past I prefer them and feel they are much easier to load.

While at All Seasons we test rode quite a few bikes including a Moto Guzzi, which is why Jamie has been wanting to go here.

They didn't have a demo Stelvio unfortunatly so we could only ride the entry level V7 Stone.It was very nice but too small and cramped for me, but fit him.

I really liked the Super Tenere except for the Dirty air and Buffeting from the windshield.
That would have to be dealt with.

Next up I rode the new BMW 1200 GS water cooled.Excellant bike with ALOT of power and excellant clean air from the windshield vs. the Tenere.

They also had a used ST1300 that I rode since I always wondered about them and was very impressed with.What a marvelous mile eating road machine.

I couldn't ride it but they had the new 800 GS Adventure sitting there on the floor on the center stand.Now that bike will seriously talk to you.It is alot more impressive in person then the pictures.If they were not so expensive and (I feel) have so many issues it would be hard not to take that one home. Lol.

I had a good time at the Rally finish, talking with other members and the Rally riders themselves after following another exciting 11 days.
I think there were more DNF's(did not finish) this time than ever.

This impressive dirt Ninja was in the parking lot.
I dont know who owns it but he must have showed up to see the riders at the finish like myself.

Here is Tim Masterson at the finish.

The last guy I said goodbye to before heading back to Detroit was JOHN RYAN.(RIP)
I had just met him during this Rally(He was not a participant),but had read alot about him over the years including the book written about him.
He was really a humble and friendly guy.

That morning at the Finish of the Rally,one of the riders was 100+ miles from the finish and had bike problems.
John Ryan rode his FJR to the rider and let him use his bike to make it to the finish.(with penalty of course.)
Someone followed John out in a vehicle and brought him back.

I would have never thought he would be gone a few months later.

John Charles Ryan
Obituary

John Charles Ryan, 53, of Long Valley, N.J., passed away on Sunday, Oct. 13, 2013. A celebration of John's life will be held from 2 to 4 p.m. and 7 to 9 p.m. on Thursday, Oct. 17, 2013, at the William J. Leber Funeral Home, 15 Furnace Rd. (corner of Rt. 206), Chester, N.J., (908) 879-3090. An 11 a.m. Funeral Mass will be celebrated on Friday, Oct. 18, at St. Luke Parish in Long Valley. The interment will be private. For online condolences or more information, visit www.williamjleberfh.com. John was born on June 24, 1960, in Jersey City, N.J. He had lived in Long Valley for the past nine years and was previously of Morris Plains, N.J. John was an avid motorcyclist. He held numerous world records for endurance riding. John was a member of the BMW Skylands Club, the New York BMW Riders Club, the New Jersey BMW Shore Riders, and the Iron Butt Association. He also volunteered at Camp Nejeda to help children with juvenile diabetes. John is survived by his mother and father, Janet and John Ryan; his siblings, Susan and her husband, David Drillock, Kenneth and his wife, Barbara Ryan, Anita M. Ryan, Laurie and her husband, Anthony Pietropollo, and Nicole and her husband, Daniel Morin; his nieces and nephews, Justin, Melanie and Trevor Ryan, Michael, Alexander and Christopher Pietropollo, and Brooks and Samaya Morin, and many other loving aunts, uncles, cousins and friends. In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made to the Camp Nejeda Foundation, 910 Saddleback Rd., Stillwater Township, N.J. 07860.
Published in Star-Ledger on Oct. 15, 2013

Then I hammered the Turnpike home, once again impressed with how well this thumper has been chewing up the slab miles lately.

But I hear the North Woods calling and think I may spoon some knobbies on the KLR and get off the pavement for awhile and see how this Road Warrior does on the Dirt and Gravel roads and Two tracks of Northern Michigan and maybe the UP.

One thing I want to modify, but I will probably wait till winter, is the footpeg location.
I am going to fab up some brackets that lower the pegs about an inch and move them back about an inch to facilitate a much better standing position.
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/

GAS GUY screwed with this post 12-17-2013 at 02:13 PM
GAS GUY is offline   Reply With Quote