View Single Post
Old 07-14-2013, 09:18 PM   #96
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Oddometer: 327
Day 10 11 12

Day 10

The day started with showers on and off again all day, and then finally around 4pm it did stop, with lots of little towns along the way I fond it a bit to early to look for a camping so I decided to continue down the Stewart Cassiar Hwy and man is that a beautiful road to take, long sweeping curves and beautiful scenery. Thinking I could make it to Dease Lake because I was told if you can drive down the Telegraph Creek Road you will not regret it, it's a hard packed gravel road riding through some of natures best, it starts in Deasse Lake so hoping I could be there before night fall proved to be a bit to much, the rain started back and the temps dropped, cold and wet I pulled over at a hunting camp/camping, and asked if they had any place warm that I could use to crash for the night, of course says this lady at the desk , we have a log cabin on the lake, no power, water or anything but it has a wood stove to get you warm, that sounded very good at that point, show me the way, made a fire and pulled out my bed roll, very tired I fell immediately to sleep, only to wake up in the middle of the night sweating and I could hardly breath, of course I overloaded the stove, and wow just poke me I'm well done, the good part is that all my stuff was dry.

Day 11

Raining again and snow on the mountain passes not great for riding and Telegraph Creek Road will have to wait till I come for the return trip. it wasn’t until 2pm on the Alaskan Hwy that things cleared up, during the rain I could not see much of the surroundings but when it did stop I made a video that was suppose to show you the grandeur of this place, but that turned out wrong, the camera was pointing to fare down, better next time.
When I got to Whitehorse I called Yukon Jon because he had offered a place to stay, on the phone he said I hope you don't mind but I have just moved to Carmacks and that's another 180km past Whitehorse, and by the way everything is still in boxes so we will see what we can do. Yukon Jon is with the RCMP and was resigned to a new place and true to form even though he had just moved there he turned out to be a real trouper (no pun intended). Thanks a million Jon, I have no picture because he said he would have to kill me (just kidding).

Day 12

There was a thick blanket of smoke hanging around for the next 200km, and luckily cleared up to make for some perfect riding with temperatures in the mid 20c, made it to Dawson City and will hang around here for the day before I head out to Inuvik.

Jeff

Super Tenere screwed with this post 07-14-2013 at 09:24 PM
Super Tenere is offline   Reply With Quote